Monday, March 30, 2009

Common Council Crunch Time

Today, I went to the "study session" that the Common Council of the City of Syracuse holds before a regular meeting. Although I  later discovered that I was supposed to go to the meeting itself, I still learned about local government. I grew up in the city of Rochester and visited Syracuse City Hall two weeks ago, yet I've never really understood how a local government is organized.

It turns out that they are quite meticulous! During the "study session," the councilors go through each meeting point numerically, according to the councilor in charge. For example, Councilor Robinson was in charge of points 10-20 in the agenda. The topics range from contracts to amendments to zone changes. 

Each item is designated as "ready" or "on hold." Only 5 out of 40 points were on hold today. 

If an item needs further clarification before the councilors, a community member involved will attend the study session to update the council on the progress. Today, a developer from Morningview LLC attended to address a new walkway that the city requested so that kids will be safe walking to school. The project is not done. 

Items are held if more information is needed or if  committee meeting is in the near future. 

President Bea González didn't attend the study session. The councilors want to do the housekeeping before the official meeting begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment